If you have not heard by now, which is possible if you are not part of the LGBTQ+ Community of Toronto or a member of the Toronto Police Service, last summer during the Pride Parade in Toronto, the group Black Lives Matter, disrupted the parade with a protest that basically stopped the parade from proceeding and presented the head of Pride Toronto with a list of demands.
Those demands were made on behalf of Black Lives Matter Toronto, BQY (Black Queer Youth) and Blackness Yes;
- Commit to BQY’s continued space (including states/tents), funding and logistical support.
- Self-determination for all community spaces, allowing community full control over hiring, content, and structure of stages.
- Full and adequate funding for community stages, including logistical, technical, and personnel support.
- Double funding for Blockorama + ASL interpretation & headliner funding.
- Reinstate and make a commitment to increase the community stages/space (including the reinstatement of the South Asian stage).
- A commitment to increase representation amongst Pride Toronto staffing/hiring, prioritizing Black trans women, Black queer people, Indigenous folk, and others from vulnerable communities.
- A commitment to more Black deaf & hearing ASL interpreters for the Festival.
- Removal of police floats/booths in all Pride marches/parades/community spaces.
- A public townhall, organized in conjunction with groups from marginalised communities, including, but not limited to, Black Lives Matter- Toronto, Blackness Yes, and BQY to be held 6 months from today. Pride Toronto will present and action plane on the aforementioned demands